Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's for dinner?

I've made my own version of dry won ton mee (noodle with dumpling) for a few times now. Since moving to Melbourne 2 and a half yrs ago, I've given up on missing the hawker food from Pg and try making them instead! There are some of which turned out pretty good (of which I will share later on) and of course some that wasn't up to my expectation. I mostly get recipes over the internet and find that the kuali website http://kuali.com/ which holds most of Amy Beh's recipes tastes really good. Anyhoo after having some so-so dry won ton mee at some of the restaurants here, I've decided to try making my own, from observing many won ton mee stall owners making the noodles when I was back in Pg. It's really easy to make and it's yummy=)
So here's the recipe:


INGREDIENTS
  • Thin won ton-style noodles
  • sweet soy sauce
  • sesame oil
  • soy sauce
  • chicken stock -1 medium chicken frame (cleaned) boiled in approx. 1.5 l water( I usually make my own stock now that Hannah's joining in the meals or you can just use some ready made stock cubes)
  • little bit of chicken thigh fillet (boiled/steamed and shredded to small pieces)
  • choy sum (also boiled/steamed)
For won ton (dumpling)
  • chicken mince
  • a few small prawns (shelled) and chopped
  • some spring onion
  • won ton wrappers
  • dash of salt and pepper
  1. Boil the noodles as per instruction on packet. Drain.
  2. For the won ton mix all the ingredients and season with a dash of salt and pepper and wrap them in wrappers.
  3. Put water in a pot and boil the chicken frame for 15 min. Add in a pinch of salt. Remove the frame, with the remaining stock to boil won ton, chicken fillet and choy sum. Drain.
  4. On a plate mix all the sauces and sesame oil and add in a little bit of the chicken stock before stirring in the noodles.
  5. The remaining stock can be used as soup ( as shown on the photo below)
  6. Garnish with spring onion.


Boiled choy sum, won ton and chicken



The finished product, won ton mee

3 comments:

Mabel Leong said...

Wow. You should cook for me sometime lah.

Mom said...

Mmmm..the won ton looks nice, should make some for me when you come back;)

Butterfly kisses said...

Mabs: Yea when you and Kennon decides to settle down here I wouldn't mind cooking for you, hehe.
Mum: When I'm bak the won ton at hawker stall so easily avail so no point la, I make for you WHEN YOU ARE HERE ok..heee hee

Post a Comment