Monday, December 7, 2009

Thoughts on a loved one..

It has been an utterly crazy week. Besides getting materials ready for some church activities I was put in charged of, most of my free time at night went to international calls over the past few days. My poh poh was recently diagnosed with a minor stroke. Those who know me knows how dear she is to me. I was just talking to her few nights before it all happened. All I can do is get updates from my mom, sis or poh poh herself. She is still able to converse but tells me she gets tired easily. It certainly does not feel good to be so far away and not be able to chip in some physical help. We've booked our tickets for Jan and it stll seems a long way to go before I get to see her. She obviously needs a lot of help just moving around a bit and with food and bowel movements. She needs diapers at night (it saddens me to hear that) and she can feed herself albeit slow and clumsy.

My poh poh is the most selfless person I know. Unmarried, she raised her brother's daughter, my mum after my real grandmother whom I've never met left her as a child. And after that she took care of me and my sis when we were small because my mum needed to work. I know she can earn some money for herself being a domestic help or some kind of laundrette at that time but she gave that all up for us. Besides taking care of two kids, she cooked and washed for her siblings who were then alive and lived in the same house. She did all that until my sis and I moved to mum's in our teens. And she still never stopped caring for all of us up until now. Always brewed 'cooling' drinks for my sis and mum and occasionally cooked their favourite dishes when she was able to. When I was back last year she cooked for me too eventhough I was thinking she was a bit frail to be doing so much work. I miss her a lot. It is a hard time, not for her only but her carers. My aunt, my mum and sis. And all who are giving monetary help. I cannot wait to see her, and I hope and pray she gets better everyday.

2 comments:

Mabel Leong said...

I do hope she feels better soon. Don't be too upset k. I know it's easier said than done, but, there's nothing else you can do.

Butterfly kisses said...

Yea, I know can't do much la. Thanks for your word of encouragement.

Post a Comment