Monday, November 16, 2009

To work or not to work yet..or not to work at all

Few months back, a friend informed me that her work place was hiring. She is working for the council and they were looking at someone to handle administration for two days a week, for now but it might be increased to a 3 day week. I did some accounting work in the free trade zone back home. I was also responsible for some minor admin then so I thought it sounded pretty good. TWO DAYS + Working for the government = Extra income and not too much time away from my baby. It would also boost my resume, should I get the job, if I decide to return to the workforce next time. At the same time I was scouring at kinders nearby cos I had to register little one when she turned 18 months and I found a really good childcare incorporated kinder about 10 min drive away during peak time. How the system works though is that you are not guaranteed a placement the minute you register your child. It depends on how long the waiting list is.(which changes constantly but I am not going to dwell on that) And even though childcare doesn't come cheap over here, you are entittled to Childcare Rebate(CCR) and Childcare Benefit(CCB). Conditions apply of course(total family income,existing family benefits etc etc.) We did some calculations and the money was still good after childcare. Hubby and I discussed and pondered over the subject for a while. I thought I was ready to go back to work but honestly I enjoy my time so much being a SAHM. Well not every moment of it. Lots of frustration and exhaustion but tons of laughter and fun too. Lots of mother and baby moments. To be quite honest, I think my little one is ready for childcare; she has no qualms with me leaving her for a bit at playgroup while I fetch something from the car sometimes. I am sure there will be tears initially (mine and hers) but I know she can do it if I put her in. It is me, I am the one who is not ready to part. What if she gets bullied? What if she falls? And I am not there to catch or nurse her fall? I know people always say you shouldn't keep your children in cottonwrap, I always think it will be different if it is your own though. And I know I cannot be there to protect her all the time but I want to be able to do it, all the time now. Afterall she is only 1 and a half. I really don't mind doing away with many pair of beautiful shoes or MAC mascaras at the moment. Oh I don't mean to imply those who go back to work do it for the sake of materials. I know of some who just got to work full time to help with the mortgage. Not to get off course, I am also thankful that I have a supportive hubby who is able to provide for all of us, who does not mind making do with less too while I stay home and take care of our baby. So when you might ask? Well I really am not sure. Last time we thought I'd look for a job when she turns one...and that didn't happen obviously. Maybe next year? Or the year after that..Perhaps never IF we have a few more kids..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment